Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Change...

Seaweed in my pantry, chopsticks in my dishwasher...change.  My days are spent loving on a beautiful boy who has never belonged to anyone.  He slows my pace, my days are no longer my own...change.  For all 5 of us...change.  Wonderful change.  We are back to basics.  We must be intentional to speak of everything we are about, everything we believe in, so that we can teach this new member of our family...a crash course. And in it all, the blessing is OURS!  I am blessed to be Kell's mommy.  I am blessed by seeing my husband and my other boys taking it back to basics.  Blessed by being obedient.

Don't misunderstand me to say it is easy.  Change is not easy.  This boy is the perfect combination of, well, perfect, and then he's spunky, opinionated, sassy, and yes, he will back talk...but only once!  Then he will melt your heart...oh, the charm!  But God has trained me well in the area of charming boys.  It's not my first rodeo!

"It takes a village" is a regular saying among me and my friends...it's true!  And God has given me His best villagers for this journey!  We are blessed with "aunts" who love and spoil...and give Mommy a break.  Kell loves down to his toes!  Lots of friends to play and learn from and he loves them all and they teach him well.  We have a teacher who comes to tutor.  Oh, this boy LOVES to learn!  He loves getting to go to "school" with her...in our basement.  His excitement over learning is electric!  Our teacher deserves to be wearing a tiara! Hmmm...maybe she will..
Kell is already good at educational games on the computer.

 Life lessons.  Here is Jack's spiritual mentor teaching Kell to eat Karo and peanut butter on a homemade lard biscuit!  This may be corruption!

We will officially register for school in a few days.  He really wants to go.  Sunday at church, he was checking all the rosters for "Du Xiao Shu"...his Chinese name.  Aw!  He wanted to go with the kids so bad. Hopefully this Sunday he can go (I will go with him). 
I want him to get to go but I also want to hold him for a little while.  He is with wide eyed wonder taking in this American culture.  While he is taking it in, he is bringing all of us on a journey to "what it's all about".   It's about being at the foot of the cross, broken and vulnerable and loved like you do not deserve.  Not deserving but made worthy by Christ.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Shannan, that post made me cry! so well said, so beautiful. you are all blessed beyond measure to have each other...God is GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, my dear....change. it's like taming a wild mustang some days over here. haaha. Kell already looks happier and healthier! it's always amazing to see the "change" in these children after only a week or two at HOME! i'm praying for you, sister. keep hanging on and fight the good fight. you are not alone. you are never alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannan your words piece directly to my heart.
    Kell is our "JOY" we are all better for knowing him.
    Thank you for your obedience to God's calling... Love you my sweet
    Friend.

    ReplyDelete